Looking for Patten Makers Photography? Just click the name and you will be transported accross!

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

How Could We Be? - A song by Dennis Liu




Dennis has been a friend for a while now.When I first met him I got the impression that he was something of a force to be reckoned with in the university's film group. Later I learnt that his talents extended to music as well.

Photo by Aaron Goodwin
While I know very little about music (I have actually said things like "I don't know what to call them, so I'm going to say... notes?") as a general rule I like his work. In fact my wife and I were lucky enough to have him play at our wedding during the bridal entrance and the signing of the register and we have a few of his EPs from a few years back. These days he has taken to releasing tracks online via bandcamp.

Like all of us he's continuing to develop his skills and talent - currently he's doing this by writing songs and recording them onto cassette tapes.

What follows are my impressions of 'How Could We Be'. I write them in the belief that providing or receiving honest opinions can be a great way to develop skills in yourself or others any area. As always though, when considering opinions, its important to consider the source and this source is not very well informed. Feel free to join me as I stab wildly in the dark.

Initial Impressions:
The song is soft and gentle, more suited to an intimate performance with people sitting and listening than dancing and singing along. If anyone is dancing in this fantasy land of mine they're damn good at it and their movements are slow and formal with the occasional step filling in a blank spot in the music. That being said it does seem to have an underlying - and slightly unusually paced - driving beat to it. It stops and starts in a fashion that draws you in while preventing any easy exaggerated seated rocking movements or lighter waving (thankfully). At points, such as the beginning and near the midpoint, the drawing-in highlights the lyrics. This in interesting in the sense that without these pauses, once the song had gotten under way, I found my attention wandering from the words of the lyrics to the tone of the lyrics. While I still heard the words the voice became less of a voice and more of an instrument - it accompanied the guitar rather than the other way around.

Grumps:
Personally I'm not a fan of the cassette recording. I'm not sure if it's intended as an aesthetic thing (akin to the vinyl is better argument), an authenticity thing (the need to get things right in one hit), a convenience factor (reduced post work), some kind of limitation to encourage enhanced creativity, or something else entirely but it doesn't work for me. The crackle in the silence is more distracting than charming. Chances are that doesn't matter though, chances are the recording medium isn't designed to impress me, chances are it's something that works for him for one of the earlier reasons or an entirely different one and, at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

0 comments:

Post a Comment