Looking for Patten Makers Photography? Just click the name and you will be transported accross!

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Mighty Boy - Mighty Photographer?

I was talking with wifey the other day about advertising my wedding photography service on my car. Nothing too outlandish, just a few words on the rear windscreen or some such. Much to my dismay wifey told me I'd need a cooler car if I really wanted to do this.

While a new car is not in the budget at the moment I decided to have a look around, just for fun. I am particularly fond of smaller vehicles. The wimpier the engine and the smaller the car itself the happier I am. So, as per normal I plugged my favourite criteria into trademe. Engine size 1000cc or less. Price less than $4000. Much to my delight something else sprung up.

A Suzuki Mighty Boy.


I had never heard of it but after a bit of research I was in love.

Mighty Boys are perhaps the most magical vehicle I have ever encountered. They have a 3 cylinder, 543cc engine and typically have 3 gears for manuals and 2 for automatics. For some reason, despite this absurd engine, the people at Suzuki seemed to think of the Mighty Boy as a condensed Ute and decided to bless it with a rear tray. What it could be used to carry is anyone's guess but my guess, and the reviews, suggest it would have to be very light.

However the most magical thing about them is their fan appeal. This vehicle should not be loved by anyone, and yet it is. If you check out Team Mighty Boy you will see that it has attracted something of a cult following with its fans revelling in the car's horrible reviews and underperformance.

Yet, while this seems absurd I understand the appeal completely.Much like the Suzuki Carry it is a parody of itself. So small and compact that any advantage the body style of the vehicle initially had is absolutely lost when compared to a basic sedan.  It is cool precisely because it is so poorly matched to its intended purpose.

This is the sort of car I would one day love to own.

This is the sort of car that would make a great billboard for my business.

Sadly though this is the sort of car I cannot bring myself to purchase.

This is the sort of car that must be looked after.

It must be garaged. It must be kept clean. It must not be driven on a daily basis.

I can give it none of these things and so I must admire it from a distance.

1 comment:

  1. Bradles, you are missing out on the most mighty Mighty Boy of all for sale on Trade Me. Check it out now - and what's more it is within your price range. Further comments - this vehicle is driven every day within our small burg, it is an ideal ute for advertising purposes and thirdly it was previously owned by our son Bradley (commonly known to us as "Bradles") so all-in-all I reckon our vehicle is meant for you!!!! Look forward to hearing from you via Trade Me. Cheers

    ReplyDelete